
This 10 month thing is quite a milestone for me. When I first started this journey, I couldn't conceive of being patient for this length of time. Here are some things I have learned along the way:
1. I started out with 435 braids but over these months, I have combined about 10 of them because I didn't like the way they felt at the time. Some of them seemed to be a little weak - so I didn't want to risk losing them after a whil
e. Most of the ones I combined are right at the nape of my neck, where my hair is most likely to break.2. My hair doesn't like much attention or product. This is a revelation that I came to when I was wearing my fro for 3 years. Learning that lesson then has helped me understand what my hair is doing now
. So, I only use a clarifying shampoo on a weekly basis (usually after one of my dance ministry rehearsals) and I spritz daily. My spritz has aloe, water, jojoba oil and rosemary oil in it.3. My hair is about 17 different lengths...LOL!! It has always been that way, even when I was a creamy crack addict my hair was a bunch of different lengths. I'm not concerned about it because, for me, it just adds to the volume and uniqueness, which is very important to me. My longest loc is about 10 inches long and my shortest loc, which is at the nape is only 4 inches long.
5. People still think I have sisterlocks........I can't believe that. The trademark of properly done sisterlocks is the uniformity of the parts and size of the locs. Mine are different sizes based on the texture of my hair. Did I mention that I have 4 different textures on my 1 big head? LOL??
So, where my hair is a looser curl pattern, thinner and a little more fragile, the locs are a little bigger (i.e. mostly the top and crown of my head). The locs around my temples are bigger because I have always had a tendency of breaking there. Where my hair is more coarse, the locs are smaller, the sides and just below the crown across the back. Originally I tried small locs at the nape, but as time moved on, they felt funny so I combined them. As for the parts, HA HA HA, careful examination will reveal parts that are ALL OVER THE PLACE. I have read on several blogs that perfect parts are very much an issue for them to the point of causing some of my sistahs great stress. Don't want the stress so I have never let that be a concern.
OK, that's it for now. I will do some comparison shots soon and prepare for my 1 year anniversary - which is right around Christmas (my present to ME - YAY!!). Enjoy the pics below.
Peace Lovies!!!!

2 comments:
My anniversary is also in December. I think your hair is beautiful.
Bring on the celebration! Your locs are coming along beautifully!
Post a Comment