Thursday, February 26, 2009

What's Goin' On???


Alright Ya'll, I have to VENT. Pictured on the left are my 3 sons - the picture was taken in September '08. At that time the two big boys were 6 months into their loc processes and my little one was only 1 month into his process. Both big boys are two weeks away from their 1 year mark and they are progressing extremely well. Bryen (the one on the left) has learned how to maintain his own hair. He is a music education student at University of Louisville, plays tuba and is preparing to march this summer in a drum corps. He's marched with them before and it was a great experience for him. He definitely understands that a certain appearance must be maintained during competition - but this drum corps thing is the cause of my now having to VENT.


My son was just informed via an extremely unprofessional email that in order to march, he must cut his locs.....WHAT??? Yes, he must cut his locs. Needless to say, Mama and Daddy ain't happy about this at all. I have emailed the director and also requested a copy of the participants contract that he recently signed. He was told that the corps has an 'image' that their board of directors wants maintained.......do ya'll see where THIS is going?
I am typically NOT the one to holler discrimination or racism - but I do feel that this is an issue that we cannot let just pass without at least questioning the reasons, the process involved, etc. Wearing locs is something that he's wanted to do for a very long time. My son has done his research and knows that this rule is unique to a few corps and is not a part of the national governing body that all corps' participate in. Needless to say, I do plan to press this issue if for nothing more, than to cause some necessary discussions to take place. Ultimately it is HIS decision to make and, of course, I will support his decision (even though my position is that he just doesn't march) - and yes, I do understand that it's just hair and he could easily start over with a fresh set of locs after the season ends in August. However, I do feel as though they are encroaching on his right to self expression. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Peace Lovies!!

3 comments:

Kicukalah said...

I'm very interested in your update. I can understand where you are coming from. Whatever your son's decision is than so be it. However, I too would push for some serious answers for my serious concerns. Are there any other participants that have been asked to do the same? Change the way they wear their hair (locs, braids, etc)? Or are there any parents of other participants that feel the same as you? My point is, your concern can be heard much louder when there are folks speaking cohesively with one BIG voice. Don't get me wrong, one person can make things happen. There just something about numbers that make decision makers uneasy.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This is crazy!!! 2009 and we still have this form of discrimination going on. It now comes down to your son's personality, and if he is laid back enough to make it slide and either quit or cut his locks; or if he will rock the boat and pressure the system to change. Please keep us updated on what comes out of this.

I absolutely agree with Kicukalah, you should probably find out who share your concerns and get them to sign a petition or arrange a meeting as a group with the powers that be.