Tuesday, January 27, 2009

First Retight!!










Well,

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, I FINISHED MY FIRST DIY RETIGHTENING. HOORAY FOR ME!!!!!!
The bad news is, my son's digital camera is broke so I had to take these pics with my cell phone. They are pretty CRAPPY aren't they??
It took about 8 hours - spread out over a two-day period. I selected this time because it's been pretty cold and snowing, so I haven't wanted to get out much. All in all, it went pretty well......if I do say so myself. I had to totally re-braid 5 braids and I had to pick apart about 3 that I accidentally joined together in the back (OUCH!!).
I made my own tool out of Art and Craft Wire:















I'm sorry that these pics SUCK, but I just wanted to keep ya'll posted on the progress. I have begun a process of re-learning my hair, which is actually pretty FUN. My hair is basically really dense and tightly coiled. However, the hair on the very top (from the crown to the front hairline) is a straighter texture and it requires different handling than the back and sides. I didn't do enough rotations to make my hair tight - because I just don't believe that's healthy for your hair overall. But, in the front, especially around the hairline, I was very careful only to do so much. I do have two seak spots on my head - my temples. The women of my family don't bald, but we have very weak hair around the temples. Originally I was going to wait another week to do the retightening one reason was because I didn't think I had enough new growth and the other reason was I WAS SCARED TO DEATH!! But, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and found that it didn't take as long as I thought to get the hang of it. THANK GOD for Nubianlockedprincess and her video tutorial - I'm going to save some herbal to and a piece of apple pie for her!! Because of her, I was able to do the basic 4 point rotation on 80% of my head and there were spots that I could only do 3 or 2 rotations because my hair definitely does NOT grow at the same pace all over.

I'm pretty proud of myself and i'm going to treat myself to a nice cup of Spice Black Tea. I'm snowed in today - 10 inches of snow on the ground!!!!!!

Peace Lovies!!

Peace Lovies!!

13 comments:

Kicukalah said...

If you can do it, so can I. I'm seriously considering rightening my own locs. I'm sooo scared though. I have about 375 loc and that number scare me when I think of doing them my self. You did a great job.

Valenciajaz said...

Looks like you did a good job.I've been locked for 3 years and I've just ventured into DIY land.Happy Locking!

Khandi said...

Well done on your first re-tight. It looks like you have done a good job. I was very nervous the first time I DIY. They say over time you get faster and more confident.

PhePhi said...

stupendous job!! u have given me hope that i probably won't spend an unspeakable number on hours retightening mine. i love the idea of using wire as the tool. i will definitely be "borrowing" this idea. thanks afrolady!!!

Anonymous said...

AfroLady...

Greetings! So glad to have run across your blog. I've posted on every Youtube/group/blogspot/website that I could find in search of some info...LockitUp snubbed me and wouldn't even print my post..how silly is that?

Anyway, I like you don't believe in paying for something I can do myself. I just did the BIG CHOP a month ago---cut off my mid-back lenght dreadlocks--to make way for a new journey, in a new year.

I now have about 1-1.5 inches of all-natural-Fro and am anxious to get started on my new "imitation sisterlocks. I had 137 dreads on my head..very small as my hair is really thin and fine. Ordered my NappyLoc tool (micro) last week and can't wait to start using it.

As for the Big Chop..I had no reservations about cutting my hair down to the new growth, but miss the feeling of having locks on my head. So here's my question:

How short is too short to start a new set of "sisterlocks"? I read on the SL site, that you can start it with 1.5 inches, but I think that ONLY applies if you have had chemicals in your hair, and have 1.5 of new growth at the roots.

My hair is too short to backcomb or EVEN twist up really, but if you have any suggestions on how I can start my new set with this length---PLEASE SHARE!

As I've said, NO ONE, ANYWHERE has answered my question on this and I SINCERELY, TRULY HOPE that you would be kind enough to give a sista a bit of advice.

Thanks in Advance. Many Blessings to you in this New Year!

PS: my profile pic is what I used to look like with the dreads...haven't had time to get the new ones posted yet showing the BIG CHOP. but will definitely have to start my own blog...AFTER FINALS!!!!

anthia-ofo said...

Oooh, I just did my 1st DIY retight. My sls are 1yr. It took 4 days of doing sections using a yarn needle. You did an excellent job.

Afrolady said...

NubianEpiphany:
First, thank you for stopping by and leaving such lovely comments. Since your hair is short, check out this fotki page: http://public.fotki.com/phephi/
She started with just a few inches of hair and she installed braids. That's probably the best way for you to go right now. After you get them installed, you can maintain them with your nappylocs tool.

I hate that you got snubbed on LockItUp but that's not the first time I've heard of people getting ignored. When I first joined, my first few posts didn't get accepted either - but it's been a lot better lately. There are a TON of people on Fotki that have started locs with microbraids - so go there and do a search and I'm sure you will find some 411.

Peace Lovie!! Keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

AfroLady...

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it and keep on with keeping on, SISTA. Your hair looks fantanstic.

TTYL.

Nubianepiphany

NubianLockedPrincess said...

Hey AfroLady! You did an excellent job! Your babies really look good!

When I first started DYI, I was scared to death! I latched some locs together too!

I was on lockit up too. I found it very negative at times and I lot of my messages did not get posted. This is before I did my Videos LOL!

Its crazy the way the group is micro managed.

The cult like feeling inspired me to make my tightening video.

Keep up the excellent work!

Afrolady said...

Thank you very much NubianLockedPrincess, if it wasn't for your detailed video, I would have been totally LOST.

Lalaboobaby said...

Thank you for posting on my blog the encouraging words. Best to you in your journey and self retightening.

Kicukalah said...

I am currently attempting to retighten my locs. So far, I've had one accident. Yes, I've joined two locs together. The good thing is that they were so super thin that I left it that way. Anyway, how did you manage to do the back? I too use a tool I made out of craft wire as well. I also use a crochet hook for my short babies. Remember when I gave myself the "taper look." Some time the crochet hook snags my little babies, but I have found it difficult to keep them in my home-made tool because of the length. Any suggestions there?

Afrolady said...

Kicukalah,
When I was working on the back, I just made it a point to work really slow and make sure other locs were clamped down out of the way. The few that I joined together (accidentally) were also in the back. For your really really short babies, try making another tool that's really short (just long enough for you to hold on to - about 1 inch long) or a latch hook would probably work too, but you may have to get someone to help you.

I hope this helps. NubianLockedPrincess would be a good person to ask too.

Peace Lovie!!