Wednesday, February 3, 2010

HAPPY BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!!!!!

This is Black History Month.......time to focus on the accomplishments and sacrifices of our ancestors. Technically, everyday should be Black History Month in our community, but I digress. I have started a personal challenge that I'd like you to participate in. Every day, I am going to learn something new about our people. Everything from food, fashion, education, achievements, writings, arts, you name it, I'm going to learn it.

But more importantly, I am going to sit down with an Elder this month and just listen to her talk. I already know who it will be, and I know I'm in for a time of listening to every story known to man!! Does that bother me? Nope!! Why? Because, one of the main problems within 'our' community is that the young ones don't want to talk to the old ones because they feel that theres nothing to gain from it. Well, my generation is the last link to the Civil Rights Movement, we were not old enough to be a part of it, but we were raised by those who were a part of it. After our generation, the Civil Rights Movement will be nothing more than something in a History Book. So, it's important, at least to me, to learn what I can at the feet of the Elders and be ready to pass that knowledge on.

It's Black History Month!! Don't let it get away from you without taking the time to learn a little sumpin, sumpin.

Peace Lovies!!