Saturday, July 25, 2009

Comparisons

A member of one of the groups I am in asked me a very interesting question. She is considering installing her own traditional locs and asked me if there was any difference between locs started with comb coils and locs started as two-strand twists. While the installation technique is totally different, there is very little difference between the two once the hair is fully loc'd. I thought that was a really good question - so I decided to post some comparison pictures. As far as I can tell, the only difference may be in the size of the loc. But, as you can see, there is no real visible difference.

The pic on the left is my oldest son, whose locs were started as comb coils in a salon. The pic on the right is of my youngest, I started his locs with two-strand twists.




3 comments:

Kicukalah said...

Thanks for posting this. It's very interesting. There seems to be a difference in "flow" as well. Where as the upper pic the locs seem to flow straight down and in the lower pic the locs seem to flow where they want. Do you believe that this is so because of perhaps different hair texture or different stages of the locking process?

Kicukalah said...

...or the locking technique?

Afrolady said...

Actually, I think it's a combination of a couple things. The locs started with comb coils, never went through that weird-going in every conceivable direction phase. Because I have maintained both sets, I can say that their hair textures are very similar in thickness, but different in coarsness. My oldest son's hair is definitely a lot coarser than my youngest son's hair.