Monday, May 11, 2009

Breast Care

Well, Well, Well,



I have been away from my blog for about a month - I didn't realize how much I missed it until I logged into it today. Am I just plain lazy, NO. I reached a point about 3 weeks ago when time came to a screetching HALT.



I went for my mammogram about a month ago - It was my first one and I was very nervous about it. I should have been having them.....I KNOW, but I was always too busy, didn't have insurance for a while, blah, blah, blah. When you get past all of the excuses I used, I was just plain SCARED to go and have one. One day, my physician's office called and harrassed me about it and I called that afternoon and scheduled an appointment. The appointment went well, I was in and out in a matter of minutes and I felt like a FOOL for being so afraid (even though my chest felt like somebody backed over it with their CAR.


Anyhoo, 1 week passes and I get a call telling me that they found 3 nodules and I would need to go in for an Ultrasound. That's when time STOPPED. I freaked out, called my husband and he immediately calmed me down - he is the absolute BEST at doing that. I scheduled the appointment and went in 2 days later. Didn't tell anyone but Hubby what was going on - he asked if he needed to go with me and I said No. I was determined to handle this like the 45 year old woman that I am. Had the ultrasound and the doctor came in and said a word that NO ONE wants to hear - the word was BIOPSY. He did go on to say that non-cancerous masses were common in African American woman and that I shouldn't worry until there was something to worry about (same words my husband used).

Called Mama - she FREAKED and wanted to come to town for the procedure. I said NO, I wanted her to wait until I knew if I would need something more extensive. Had a talk with my children - had to really sugar coat things for my 13 year old, but my others are grown so they got the blunt truth of the situation. My middle son is the one who was away, so his was the hardest conversation because we had to have it over the phone. My daughter DEMANDED to talk to the doctor so SHE could be sure he knew what he was doing. Told my best-girlfriends and they all started to pray, call and check on me constantly, etc. They did all that stuff the women are supposed to do for each other. When I told Rose, her response was, PICK ME UP ON THE WAY TO THE APPOINTMENT. Got to love my girl!!!!!

I spent 2 weeks wondering if I had cancer,
what was I going to do,
could I really fight this battle
would I lose my hair because of some medication........
What about this, what about that...................it was TORTURE.

Biopsy day was upon us. I cleaned my room (nervous energy)...........hubby drove and we picked up Rose on the way (AS ORDERED). We arrived at the place, Hubby checked his email on their computers while I waited to be called in. During the preliminary part - I cried like a 2 year old. Did I mention that the only medical things I have endured was going to the hospital, popping out a kid, then going back home!!!! One of the nurses told me she'd be with me the whole time and then gave me hugs (gotta love that!!). After 2 burning shots to numb the pain, 5 samples being taken, a clip being put into my breast (that let's future doctors know that a biopsy has been done on that particular breast) and another mammorgram to make sure the clip was in the right place, I was done. Hubby, Rose and I went to breakfast so I could have something in my stopach before taking more pain meds.

I spent the rest of the day laying down, no one in my family would let me do ANYTHING - that's WAY cool. I did answer numerous "are you OK?" texts and a few calls from Mama and Daddy checking on baby girl - I LOVE MOMMY AND DADDY.

The day after the procedure, I stayed in bed, number 1 son watched after me - he's become quite an accomplished herbal tea maker.
Then the phone rang and a very excited voice on the other end said "I couldn't wait to call you with the good news, Your masses are NON-CANCEROUS, you will receive a letter in the mail, we will want to see you again in 6 months!!!!!!!

What's the moral of this story: Put your trust in God and let the doctors do what they are trained to do. Don't be afraid of ANYTHING - especially medical tests, they are there for a reason.......Everything is for a reason.........If my physicians office hadn't started harrassing me about getting a mammogram, I would still be running around being "busy" - too busy to take care of myself properly.

Chamomile Tea awaits.

Peace Lovies!!

9 comments:

PhePhi said...

OMG!! i'm practically over here in tears. i'm glad that everything worked out for the better. such an inspirational story. and u r right, trust GOD! everything happens for a reason & is in divine order. as women we must take care of ourselves. over 3 yrs ago i had surgery to remove a cyst from my breast, which the dr contributed to underwire bras. and whudduya know, 3 yrs later another cyst has arrived in almost the same spot...my husband keeps telling me to go back to the dr &, like u, i'm just too darn busy. but after reading your story, i'm going to make my appointment ASAP.

thanks afrolady!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear they came back non cancerous. Now you can relax, that must have been a huge relief for you. :)

msfullroller said...

I'm so glad everything turned out just fine. Guess that's the guides signal to you to slow down and take care of YOU. We as women take excellent care of everyone else and doing way too much, neglecting ourselves in the process.

Afrolady said...

You all are simply WONDERFUL!! I am so glad I shared this story with all of you. Ms. Fullroller, you are absolutely correct. The guides wer certainly with me - if not for them, I'd still be wandering around blind and totally ignorant to what was going on in my own body. Peace Lovies!!!!

robinc said...

I am elated to hear that you are cancer free! That must have been scary time for you and your family. Thanks be to God and the support of your family!

peace&blessings ~robinc

Natasha Dyer said...

What a testimony! I was near tears like I was watching a Lifetime movie!! So glad it turned out good and thank you for the reminder of God's goodness!

NubianLockedPrincess said...

God is good!I `am happy you are ok! I went through the same thing last year! I found a lump during my self exam. My Gyn confirmed.I was scared to death! I prayed on it and left it with God. The lump was benign Thanks to God. Look how one discovery could change ones life!

May God continue to cover you!

Nazarite Spirit said...

I am so relieved that you do not have the big "C"! I also must say, your blog is great!

Kumina said...

I'm so glad the test came back negative. It's good your family was there for you. God is good. I've been through the same thing myself. I had so many cysts and nodules removed and reappearing after time that I convinced my insurance and Dr's to have a bilateral mystecomy (sp?) done. One thing to consider that I have learned the hard way, implants block certain exams like cardiac ultrasound. If I had it to do over again, I would not have implants.